10 things: Random facts about me
The Facebook posts going around where people get a number and then post that many random facts about themselves have inspired this post. I think I’m going to start a “10 things” series, and this is a good way to kick that off.
- I don’t share dairy. When I was little, I drank directly from the milk carton. My mother caught me and told me that that would ruin the milk because saliva clings to dairy and breaks it down. From that point on, I would refuse to share anything dairy because I can barely handle my own saliva without gagging…. Much less someone else’s transported into my mouth via an ice cream cone.
- I was a child “model.” I use that term lightly, b/c the word ‘model’ inspires visions of glamour and beauty. My 6-year-old self possessed neither of those qualities. I did, however, have the remnants of a perm and a self-induced bowl cut, along with a one-piece pantsuit in the same floral pattern covering my grandmother’s couch.
- I once actually peed my pants from laughing so hard. I don’t feel this needs further explanation. Are we still friends?
- I look like a boy in my Kindergarden school picture. In protest of my mother wanting to curl my hair for her wedding, I chopped it all off. She paid me back by dressing me in a white button down shirt and a black necktie for school picture day.
- I made up a fake boyfriend and got caught. In 6th grade, I was tragic. And in order to impress the new, totally cool, girl on my block, I told her I had a boyfriend. Unfortunately, I stupidly used the name of a real boy. In an awkward encounter at the mall with said cool girl and said fake boyfriend, I was totally called out on my lie.
- Up until recently, I went to the hospital at least once a year. From the time I was 2 years old, I would injure myself and/or get sick to the point that hospitalization was required at least once a year. Currently, on a two year no-hospital visit streak!
- I used to scream when I would toot. First of all, we all know girls don’t fart, so this is obviously a fictional fact. But for the post’s sake, let’s pretend I pass gas on occasion. For the entire year of our engagement and the first 2 years of marriage following, if I had to fart when I was around Bryan and there was no running out of the room as an option, I would scream to cover up the sound.
- I started out my college career majoring in Physics. I truly loved science and math, and was encouraged to pursue this field of study by my high school physics teacher. Once immersed in it, I realized I liked words better than vectors and changed my major to English Communications.
- I ran away from home when I was in 4th grade. To my other home, which was about 3 miles away. My dad told me that if I peeled the potatoes for dinner, I could go to the park. I fulfilled my end of the deal and he reneged on his, offering the backyard as a substitute. Pissed off, I waited until he walked away from the window and hightailed it the hell out of there. I sure showed him as I huffily walked down seedy streets, passed dead skunks, and crossed major traffic – gradually realizing the error of my ways the farther I got from his house. He finally found me about a ½ mile from my mom’s house, so relieved I was okay that he could just kill me. This was not the first time I ran away from home… but it would be the last.
- I went to a Coolio concert in 6th grade. I didn’t even like his music. I didn’t know the words to his songs. But it was the cool thing to do. I should have listened to my mother when she initially refused to buy me tickets to see a concert where all they do is tell you “to *eff* yo momma.” (ßher words, her exact words). I’m almost positive none of Coolio’s songs contained that phrase.